Monday, August 29, 2005

Shabu-shabu


This is something the Filipinos learnt from the Japanese. I got the idea of preparing shabu-shabu from Toni when she had her birthday. I know that shabu-shabu is not a soup. Ideally, you should have a bowl full of soup stock on a portable stove and this should be boiling right in front of your two eyes. The raw meat(paper thin) and vegetables are put in that bowl and should be lifted from the bowl in a few seconds. This is how my Japanese friend Nori eat hers. She says that usually, with the aid of chopsticks, you pick the vegetables from the serving plate, dip the vegetables in the boiling soup stock in a swish-swash and that's it. Aren't the Japanese known for eating raw food by the way?

Well, I didn't trust myself to come up with an acceptable soup stock for this one so I quickly went to an Asian store close to our place and bought a "hot pot soup stock". Instead of making the "swish-swash thing", I cooked ours a little bit longer. And since hubby is so fond of soup, I turned my shabu-shabu into a shabu-shabu soup. Now I call it the Filipino shabu-shabu. How's that?

You don't need much here. Vegetables and meat of your choice will do.

17 comments:

Karen said...

Yes Ting, perfect sample of adaptation. Shabu-shabu Filipino-style or nilaga Japanese-style. ;-)

Either way, masarap pa rin!

obachan said...

Your shabu-shabu looks pretty healthy! :D What kind of dipping sauce do you usually use for Filipino-style shabu-shabu?

ting-aling said...

Yes Karen. Things we do when we see them..

Hi Obachan. I just used the sukiyaki soy sauce. It would be nice if you tell me what I should be using (**wink**)

dexiejane said...

i agree with Karen. either way, sarap talaga :)

ting-aling said...

Hi Dexie...yummy talaga..

talhey said...

wowowee, i miss shabu-shabu and this is hubby's favorite. although this soup is not very welcoming right now...it so hot here in southern cali...ingat :-)

Tanggero said...

sarap nyan...yan ba yung may foil? nyek nyek nyek
dami din dito nyan Ma'am Ting, steam boat naman ang tawag (yata)

Sari-Sari Winkel said...

Ting, very appealing naman yung shabu-shabu. Na miss ko tuloy. I am not too sure if my husband would like it though because he finds tinola or nilaga bland (or baka yung luto ko lang!)

Toni said...

Mmmmm! Shabu-shabu right at home! I should take a cue from you! :)

ting-aling said...

Talhey, I envy you. It's getting colder here day by day. I'm sure you miss this though especially that you lived in Japan for quite sometime.

Tanggers, steam boat ha? 'will remember that.

ting-aling said...

Sari, actually after dipping the meat or vegetables sa soup stock, you still dip this in a sauce. We just used sukiyaki. ('still learning you know)

Toni, I got the cue from you..haha

Bokbok said...

hi, ting! how are you?

ohh, would love to try it, but not for the moment i guess. temperatures are soaring and we're, apparently, gonna have a sweltering hot september.

;)

ting-aling said...

Really Bok? I took out our comforter already last night. 'couldn't stand hubby hogging our tiny blankie we use for summer.

Kai said...

Hahaha, Filipino style! When the hubby and I go out for shabu-shabu we dump everything in and let them cook for long minutes. Actually it's just me, I'm paranoid with anything raw. Hmmm, will try this out at home, perfect for the long rainy spells. Much cheaper, too, I'm sure!

obachan said...

Hi again!
In Japan, two types of shabu shabu dipping sauce are popular: ponzu and sesame-based sauce. I happened to find English recipes for them, if you're interested in. They are not exactly what we use here, but look fairly close.

ting-aling said...

Way, way cheaper Kai. I am planning to invest on a portable stove because we love gulgogi as well. Besides we do a lot of picnics so it would be something that we can cart with us. Cheaper talaga.

ting-aling said...

Hi Obachan. Thank you very much for doing that for me. I forgot to tell you that we put spicy sesame oil in our sukiyaki soy sauce. Now that I read that article you sent me, I should have used an even thinner meat. Well, we'll have it next time. thank you once again.