Saturday, June 25, 2005

Lunar Rhubarb Cake




This is a long overdue promised recipe to Mrs. Tweety. Unfortunately, I lost my recipe when I moved offices or shifted to a new computer, I do not know which is which. Anyhow, it took me a long time to ask for a recipe from my boss' wife. As soon as I got it, I right away baked it and decided to post this right away for fear that I might lose the recipe one more time. I know Rhubarb Season is now over but hopefully Mrs. Tweety, you will still find some rhubarbs in your Mother-in-law's backyard.

Since I have been making this for a long time, my boss' wife just dictated the measurements over the phone.

I heard that the reason why this is called lunar rhubard cake is once it's baked, the top resembles the crater of the moon. I haven't been there so I cannot attest to that. I can only say that this recipe is a hit.
Here we go Mrs. Tweety:

You will need:

For the cake:

1/2 cup of butter
1 1/2 cup of white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp of Vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups of chopped rhubard (about 1 cm)

For the topping:

1/4 cup of butter
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup of brown sugar

Cream butter, sugar and egg. Add Vanila. In a separate bowl, mix flour, soda and salt. Add to the creamed butter and sugar adding 1/3 of the butter milk at a time. Dredge rhubard in flour before folding into the mixture. Pour mixture in a 9 x 13 greased pan.

Cut butter in brown sugar and cinnamon powder until the mixture resembles coarse oatmeal. Spread evenly on top of cake mixture and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

2 comments:

dexiejane said...

my MIL would love this. she loves rhubarbs. :)

ting-aling said...

Hello Dexiekins. Nice to know your MIL loves rhubarb. 'hope you'll give it a try sometime.