Sunday, September 26, 2004

Beef Menudo

Menudo to the Mexicans is made of tripe and chili and believed to be an antidote for hangover. This is the reason why this is a common dish on New Year’s when everyone wants to get sober after a New Year’s Eve celebration.

In the Philippines, it is different. The main ingredient to the Filipinos’ menudo is liver. I do not put any liver on mine as much as possible. First, my kids do not like liver cooked that way. I think I had it with liver when my sister was suffering from Leukemia. Liver was believed to be a good source of iron and my parents used to half cook the liver and made sure we had to chew it all up otherwise it meant no playmates for the day for us.

My ingredients:

2 lbs of olive oil
1 onion coarsely chopped
1 lb lean ground beef
2 medium diced potatoes
1 medium carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery
½ cup green peas
¼ cup sultana raisins
1 cup tomato sauce
salt to taste

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the chopped onion and cook for about 1 minute. Add the ground beef and cook until brown. Add the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the carrots and the celery and about 1/8 of water. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the green peas, raisins and tomato sauce and simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Season to taste. Serve hot. The taste of this recipe improves overnight.

No comments: