Monday, September 27, 2004

Shanghai Lumpia, Siomai and Green Salad with Papaya

My husband made a special request last night. He wanted to indulge. I was a little bit hesitant because it meant I was going to do a lot of cooking again. If there’s one thing he saved me from, it was the fact that he already knew what he wanted. There are days when he wants to eat a lot but he doesn’t really know what he wants to eat. His request was simple, shanghai lumpia and siomai. I thought I could live with that.

Of course, it was also hitting 2 birds with one stone, no make that three. We went out for a walk to buy the ingredients I needed.

My Shanghai is made of ground pork and a bit of longganisa or Chinese sausage. If I use the chinese sausage, I chop the sausage finely or as close to how the pork was ground. I used the same mixture except that with the siomai, I added a bit of spicyness to it.
Shanghai Lumpia

1 lb of ground pork
3 pieces of Pilipino longanisa (skinless)
1 onion chopped finely
dash of ground pepper
1 clove of finely chopped garlic
4 tbsp of soy sauce
1 egg
1 tbsp of sesame oil
wanton wrapper
lumpia wrapper

Mix the first 8 ingredients. Divide the mixture into two, one portion for the lumpia and the other for the siomai.

I do not know if I still need to put the instructions on how to wrap the lumpia and the wanton. Everybody seems to know how to do this. I would however want to emphasize that when you’re wrapping your lumpia, you might want wrap the mixture tightly to avoid the uncooked lumpia from absorbing a lot of oil. Fry. Serve Shanghai Lumpia with a catsup or plum sauce.

Before wrapping the siomai, you might want to add some roasted chilies to make your siomai more exciting. Steam the siomai for about 15 minutes or until done.

For the sauce of the siomai:

2 tbsp of soy sauce
½ tbsp of chilies in oil
lemon

For the Green Salad, this one is really simple.

1 bundle of green lettuce
¼ red onions sliced thinly
1 lb of ripe papaya

for the dressing:

1 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of cider vinegar
dash of ground pepper
1 tbsp of mustard
1 tbsp of honey

Shake all the ingredients for the dressing in a shaker. Toss the salad and serve.

No comments: