Thursday, September 02, 2004

Rocky Road

Note: The item in the picture is further divided into four for us. I do not eat that size just in one sitting or I'll be sick.



Funny how I will start my supposedly healthy foodblog but it first began with my falling in love with all things sweet. I was not a chocolate lover at first but because we have so many varieties of chocolates here from different countries, I slowly gave in to the temptation. Mind you, before I went for my 2 hour fasting glucose test, right after Christmas..can you imagine? Yes, right after Christmas, I managed to pump in about 1 Hazelnut flavored Lindt chocolate, a slab of Toblerone, and a boxful of Mint flavored After eights. Of course they came in free as Christmas gifts. The best things in life are free? Not for me I discovered because my sugar count was 7.8. Can you imagine how chocolates changed my life after that? Well, it was a complete deprivation of everything sweet, including pop and soda or softdrinks. One thing I found out was I had ”withdrawal symptoms” and when I had them, I binged.

This is when D said it doesn’t have to be that way. You are only human and of course you’re allowed sweets anytime. The beauty of having a counselor just when you needed her. Sigh!! so instead of me running to the store for chocolates I occasionally made myself a treat called Rocky Road. Unfortunately, when I decided to make my food blog, this was the one I had to make that particular night. What a way to start my blog huh? Here we go.

What you need:

1 bag of semi-sweet pure chocolate chips
1 bag of small marsmallows
1 cup of chunky peanut butter

How to do it:

1. Melt the bag of chocolate chips in a boiler
2. Add the peanut butter
3. Mix thoroughly chocolate and peanut butter. Let it cool but not so cool that the chocolate will be difficult to stir. Rule of thumb is cool enough not to melt the marsmallows
4. Stir in marshmallows
5. Spread a parchment paper in a baking pan depending on how thick you want your treat to be. I use the 8 x 8 to make an inch thick.
6. Pour in the mix.
7. Refrigerate for about 3 hours.

The parchment paper allows you to take the chocolate out of the baking pan without letting it stick to the bottom of the pan. I usually slice the big mass into slabs for craving days. I store them wrapped in cling wraps and put them in the freezer. They don’t stay long in normal temperature so it is best to eat them right from the freezer.

I used to count the number of wraps in the freezer but over time my kids knew better than eating them without my knowledge. They now know the meaning and significance of a “treat”. Lesson no. 1

No comments: