Friday, September 10, 2004

Chopsuey (Stir Fry)


It’s amazing what you can do with just green beans, carrots, cabbage, snow peas and celery. When I cook, I try to keep in mind that we should have at least five vegetables a day. I keep this in mind when grocery shopping too and so it becomes automatic that they become part of what is in my grocery cart. As you journey with me, you will find that I use these five ingredients very often in cooking. Tonight, I will start my "5 vegetables" with Stir Fry or Chopsuey.

Ingredients:

½ lb of pork belly
1 medium onion
¼ cabbage, cut
¼ lb green beans
3 medium carrots
3 stalks of celery
150 gms of stringed snow peas
2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 cup of water
1 clove garlic chopped
Patis to taste
1tsp sesame oil

I am not particular about the slice of my veggies. My principle is, as long as all the veggies are sliced consistently with the rest, it’s alright. I don’t normally sauté my pork. I boil it for about 10 minutes before slicing it into about ½ cm thick as pangsahog. I put my garlic last. Some actually sauté it first. In a pan, I put the sliced pork and cook it for about 2 minutes. I add the sliced onion and I cook it for ½ minute. I found out that onions are cooked in different ways depending on your recipe. I don’t make my onions transparent before I add the vegetables in this particular recipe. I then add the vegetables according to how quick they get cooked.

Personally, I put the celery, carrots and the cabbage at the same time and cook them for about 2 minutes. The green beans are next and cooked for another 1 minute. I put the snow peas last. Usually as soon as I put the snow peas I also add the dissolved cornstarch, patis to taste, garlic and sesame oil to make sure they are mixed consistently with the vegetables before the cornstarch thickens. I mentioned in my previous recipes that I like my vegetables crispy. You can always cook your vegetables longer should you wish to cook them some more.

My kids want a little sauce in their rice so sometimes I add more water but my standard measurement is just one cup.

No comments: