Thursday, October 07, 2004

Chunky Seafood-Potato Soup

Autumn is here! Bring out your soup recipes. Here's mine! This is a modification of a recipe one of my officemates made. If I followed the actual recipe, it would have been so thick, rich and creamy because she used cheddar cheese and whole cream milk. I’ve improved on the kind of milk I use in cooking. I have kept to a minimum the use of Campbell’s Cream of whatevers to enhance the taste of my food. In the past, I thought I could never live without Campbell’s soup.

Well, I have also substituted ham with mixed seafood and imitated crabmeat. I plan to have the richer version though for Thanksgiving.

What you need:

2 tbsp of olive oil
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
3 medium new potatoes peeled and diced.
1 stalk of celery cut in about ¼ inch long
½ cup of mixed seafood
½ cup of imitated crab meat
1 cup of water
3 cups of skim milk
Salt to season

In a deep saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add potatoes and cook until tender adding a bit of water if necessary. Add celery and cook for about 1 minute. Add the seafood.

Gradually add water and skim milk making sure that milk does not burn at the bottom of pan. Season. Simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes stirring frequently. Serve hot.Preview of what's coming!

No comments: